PA: Pathology Assistant
100 Michigan Street Northeast Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Location: Grand Rapids MI 49503
Shift: Mon-Fri 9a-6p
Max Pay Rate: $50/hr
- Assists in the preparation, performance, and dictation of human specimen dissection Performs gross examination on tissue specimens and provides dictation of observations through voice recognition software.
- Responsible for the overall assurance that all specimens are processed in an adequate and satisfactory manner, they are labeled properly, and that all paperwork is accurate and complete.
- Obtains samples for ancillary studies: -Cytogenetics - Flow Cytometry - Frozen section and intraoperative consultation - Lymphoma Protocol - Touch/Squash Preparations - Tumor Mapping - Tumor Registry - Tumor Triage.
- Review clinical information including imaging, laboratory results, and operative notes.
- Communicates any problems encountered with specimens to the correct unit, department or office
- Discuss cases with surgeons, clinicians, and pathologists
- Review accuracy of macroscopic description transcription
- Confirm accuracy and perform editing of CPT codes
- Registers, accessions, processes specimens/tissues as needed
- Photographs surgical specimens, as requested
- Perform maintenance of equipment and ensure department is adequately supplied
- Operate bone saw following proper safety procedures
- Bachelor' s degree from an accredited NACCLS Pathologist Assistant program
- Must be certified through ASCP